Law Enforcement Accreditation
Our most recent on-site assessment took place on August 7-10, 2016. The CALEA assessors completed their review of the agency and reported back to the CALEA Commission that the Pismo Beach Police Department had a perfect review! Members of the department and City Government accepted the award of Accreditation with Excellence at CALEA’s national conference in Charleston, SC in November of 2016.
For questions about the Pismo Beach Police Department’s participation in the accreditation process, please contact Pismo Beach Police Accreditation Manager Anita Channell at firstname.lastname@example.org or (805) 773-7029.
CALEA Accreditation has become the primary method for law enforcement agencies to voluntarily demonstrate their commitment to excellence in law enforcement. The standards upon which the Law Enforcement Accreditation Program is based reflect the current thinking and experience of law enforcement practitioners and researchers.
- CALEA Accreditation requires an agency to develop a comprehensive, well thought out, uniform set of written directives. This is one of the most successful methods for reaching administrative and operational goals, while also providing direction to personnel.
- CALEA Accreditation standards provide the necessary reports and analyses a CEO needs to make fact-based, informed management decisions.
- CALEA Accreditation requires a preparedness program be put in place so an agency is ready to address natural or man-made unusual occurrences within the community.
- CALEA Accreditation strengthens an agency’s accountability, both within the agency and the community, through a continuum of standards that clearly define authority, performance, and responsibilities.
- Being CALEA Accredited can limit an agency’s liability and risk exposure because it demonstrates that internationally recognized standards for law enforcement have been met, as verified by a team of independent outside CALEA-trained assessors.
- CALEA Accreditation facilitates an agency’s pursuit of professional excellence.
For more information regarding the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, please visit www.calea.org or call (800) 368-3757.