Applications & Permits


The following permit applications may be downloaded in PDF format. The Engineering Division encourages you to fill out these applications and submit all necessary supporting documents in one submittal package so that we may process your application more efficiently. Please email your completed application and any additional paperwork to

Once your application has been submitted to the email address above, an Engineering staff member will contact you to confirm permit fees and any necessary bonding requirements. Payments may be made electronically via the Official Payments website. Instructions on how to use complete your payment can be viewed here.  Approved permits are processed electronically via DocuSign. 

Please visit the Fee Schedule section and the City Municipal Code to review what fees and codes apply to your particular application. Fees are updated each fiscal year on July 1st. Please make sure your application is for the current fiscal year. If you have any questions regarding your project or project application, please contact a representative of the Engineering Division.

Encroachment Permit

An Encroachment Permit is required for all proposed work in a city right-of-way or easement. Requirements will vary for each permit, but in general, will require an 81/2" x 11" drawing of the proposed work, a completed encroachment permit application, a permit fee depending on the type of work, and a security deposit (bond) in the form of cash, certified check, letter of the credit, or Surety Bond. The amount of the deposit will be determined by the City depending on the extents of the proposed work. Bonding requirements are also described under City Municipal Code section, 12.32.030, "security deposit." 

Contractor's License Requirements

Individuals performing work permitted through an Encroachment Permit must be licensed contractors with Class A General Engineering license from the State of California. Other license classifications may be acceptable depending upon the type and scope of work. In the absence of a Class A license, a C-12 - Earthwork and Paving license is typically required for work requiring excavation, backfill, paving and surfacing operations.

The following class licenses are acceptable for the scope of work described below. 

  • C-8 Concrete Contractors may perform driveway approach and sidewalk projects.
  • C-10 Electrical Contractors may perform the installation of electrical wires, raceways conduits, fixtures and appliances.
  • C-12 Earthwork and Paving Contractors may perform grading, excavation, backfill, paving and surfacing work.
  • C-27 Landscaping Contractors may perform landscaping related work.
  • C-31 Construction Zone Traffic Control Contractors may perform traffic control.
  • C-32 Parking and Highway Improvement Contractors may perform parking lot surfacing work including installation of striping and protective vehicle signage and/or device.
  • C-34 Pipeline Contractors may perform water and gas line work including trenching, compacting and surface paving.
  • C-36 Plumbing Contractors may perform water and gas piping from the property owner's side of the utility meter to the structure or fixed works. Under no circumstances shall the C-36 Plumbing Contractor be allowed to perform sewer line work in the public right-of-way.
  • C-42 Sanitation System Contractors may perform sanitary sewer line work excluding trenching, compacting and surface paving.
  • C-57 Water Well Drilling Contractors may perform installation and repairs of water wells and pumps by boring, drilling, excavating, casing, cementing and cleaning to provide a supply of uncontaminated water.

Further information regarding license classifications is available through the California State Contractors License Board (CSLB)

An Encroachment Permit Submittal Checklist is included at the bottom of the application for use in determining all required information needed for your submittal. Below are the applications. Please use the appropriate application for your type of encroachment. 

Fire Flow Test

A Fire Flow Test application is required for fire flow information. A completed application and fee of $254 per hydrant is required before staff will perform the test.

Encroachment Agreement

An Encroachment Agreement is required for any type of major private improvements in the public right of way and must be approved by the City Council. The agreement requires a detailed plan showing the proposed encroachment. A $1,911 application fee is required and will be used to pay the full cost of staff and/or consultant expenses. Should costs exceed $1,911, the applicant shall be responsible for payment prior to approval of the permit.

Development Application Form (to be used for the following)

  • Certificate of Compliance
  • Easement
  • Encroachment Agreement
  • Improvement Plans
  • Lot Line Adjustment
  • Lot Merger
  • Offer of Dedication
  • Parcel Map / Tract Map / Condo Map